top of page


Cottage Construction

Interested in making any changes to your historic cottage?

Please review the below documents before beginning the MVCMA Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) process.

1. Construction & Preservation Handbook

2. US Department of Historic Preservation Guidelines

3. COA Fee Schedule

Ready to apply? Please fill out the form below.

1. MVCMA COA Application

Once all of the above steps are completed, please submit your fully executed application with required attachments

to Building & Grounds Supervisor, Frannie Cappello, at You can also deliver a hard copy to the office if you prefer.

Once your application has been approved, you will be notified to pay the associated fee. This can be paid by check or card.


When can work be done on my cottage?


September through June, construction or repair work may be done by leaseholders or contractors on Monday through Saturday between the hours of 8:00AM and 6:00PM.


In July and August, quiet repair work, not requiring an MVCMA or Town of Oak Bluffs permit, such as painting, may be done by the leaseholder or a member of the leaseholder's family, but not by anyone else, only on Monday through Saturday between 8:00AM and 6:00PM, provided the work does not involve the use of power tools and does not cause a hardship on any other leaseholder.


Do I need to submit a COA to paint the outside of my cottage?


Exterior painting does not require a permit. Leaseholders determine the colors for their cottage. Safe lead paint removal practices must be followed.

Who do I need to notify of my COA?


Besides submitting it to MVCMA, you’ll need to also notify your cottage abutters, meaning any leaseholder’s of any lot that touches the leaseholder’s lot and any other leaseholders on surrounding lots that might be affected by the proposed construction.


Do I need to notify the Town of Oak Bluffs?


Work must be done under permit from the Town of Oak Bluffs and by licensed persons where required. A Town of Oak Bluffs permit is required in most cases, and you should check with the building officials before starting any project. A Town of Oak Bluffs permit will be issued only upon presentation of approved MVCMA permits.


How long does the approval process take?


Once an application is complete, B&G and ARC may take up to 30 days, or more for review of a complex project.


What happens when my COA is approved?


Once approved, applications will remain open for one year so that changes from the original approved plans may be made if necessary. An extension must be requested prior to the expiration of the permit. 


What happens if my COA is denied?


In the event an application is denied, a leaseholder may file an appeal in writing with the MVCMA Board of Directors within 45 days of the date of the denial. The Board will review the appeal at the next regularly scheduled Board Meeting. The Board will make the final decision.

You can download a PDF of the above by clicking here.

bottom of page